The Skysnag Blog
How to Set Up DKIM for FreshMail?
DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) is an email authentication system designed to detect email spoofing. It allows organizations to take responsibility for transmitting a message, while providing a mechanism to verify that the message was not altered during transit. DKIM uses cryptographic signatures and public-key infrastructure to verify that an email message has not been altered during transit, and that it truly came from the claimed sender. Email senders can use DKIM to sign their messages by adding a DKIM-Signature header field to the messages. Email receivers can then use the public key published in the DNS to verify the signature and check that the message has not been tampered with.
Steps to Configure DKIM for FreshMail
- Open a new tab in FreshMail.
- Make your way to “Settings.” It’s in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Click “DKIM verification” in the menu on the left.
- Select “Authenticate new domain” now.
- You will be prompted to enter the domain name for the domain you want to enable DKIM for in a DKIM verification box that appears.
- Then click Add after entering your domain name.
- FreshMail will now show the DKIM public key that must be made available in your domain’s DNS.
How to Get Your DKIM Public Key Available for FreshMail
Once FreshMail delivers the DKIM key follow these steps to get your DKIM Public Key Available for FreshMail
- Log in as the administrator to your DNS provider’s administration console.
- Go to the DNS records section of each of your domains.
- Depending on the type of DKIM record that has been provided to you, create a TXT or CNAME record.
- Copy and paste the hostname and value
- Save your record’s modifications and wait 48–72 hours for your DNS to take effect.
Once the record has been added successfully, sign back into your FreshMail account and select “Verify.”
You can use Skysnag’s free DKIM Checker to check the health of your DKIM record here
Enable DMARC for your domains to protect against spoofing. Sign up for a free trial today!
For more information on FreshMail DKIM setup, you can refer to their reference documentation